Our comrade’s seedballing project has gone beautifully! He made seedballs with contributions from our seed stash in early June, covered a lawn area, and let it go wild. He’s away at college for the fall so we’re helping harvest, process, and preserve what he grew.
Above is the first set of sunflowers. These were dropped off at our place, where we’ve set the seed heads up to dry and have added the stalks to compost piles. Most of the flowers have solid white or grey-striped seeds, but among the survivors are flowers with dark purple, pale red, pink-tinged white, and slate grey seeds. The seed our comrade used was from our 2013 harvest, which was a mix of every color, height, and size we could get our hands on, and as a result this year’s crop is beautiful and diverse.
We’re glad that his sunflowers did so well, because ours haven’t. We didn’t manage to get as many planted as last year, and a tree limb took our half of the seedlings in our front yard earlier this spring. Added to that, people have been cutting the immature heads off the plants for fun — they even broke into our duckyard one afternoon while we were gone.
Luckily we have friends who will grow out our seeds and share back. We plan on drying and storing all of our comrade’s seeds, pooling them with ours, and then returning as many as he wants. We’ll also be giving them away to trick-or-treaters, friends, pen pals, and any locals who want flowers of their own.